Monthly Archives: May 2012

Let the Crazy Gates Open…

So, after 2 unsuccessful unmedicated IUI cycles with donor sperm, a nurse finally offered to speak to my RE about moving on to medicated cycles. My RE agreed and prescribed 100mg of Clomid for cycle days 5 through 9.

That means that I’ll be taking the pills all week, Monday through Friday nights. In what can only be called comically bad timing, this means that it’s just in time for us to pack the rest of our house before we move out to nowhere. I am not going to lie, I’m a little scared of the timing. My best friend did 2 rounds of Clomid before getting pregnant (she’s now 8 or 9 weeks along) and said that she could feel things happening in her ovaries and her husband might have noted she was a little on the crazy side. With everything else we have going on, I’m a little terrified that I’m going to be a total basketcase and poor Jon will have that to deal with on top of everything else. Not good.

We had to move a long weekend trip to Baltimore to accommodate the timing of the ovulation after the drugs. I’m hoping that things fall into place, we have the IUI, go to Baltimore the next weekend instead and then I can come home and live with my mom for a couple of weeks and give Jon a break from my crazies. He’ll deserve it. And hopefully we’ll get a positive pregnancy test sometime before we move into the new house. That would be the perfect world.

I just took the first dose of Clomid…so far, I don’t feel insane and nothing hurts… I’ll check back in tomorrow though.


Cycle #2 comes to an end

Well, IUI# 2 = BFN.

Starting my period and tomorrow will probably officially be CD #1 of IUI cycle #3.

I’m annoyed for a number of reasons. 1, I thought the timing was so much better this cycle. #2, no one at my RE’s office ever got back to me about the short luteal phase question, not that I think that has a ton to do with the BFN, but still, annoying and #3 because I just want to be pregnant and get on with it already. This waiting and living cycle to cycle thing is not a fun time. I don’t enjoy the monitoring and the waiting at all.


However, that means that this weekends trip to NYC I can drink and not hide anything I guess. So I guess that’s a small win. Or whatever.

Ugh. This sucks.

When planning is impossible.

Last week I figured that I’d get in touch with our banking cryobank on Thursday and pick up a vial on Friday just in case things things happened over the weekend. It would be good for 7 days before I’d have to get it recharged for an extra $50 and that would be right around the time I ovulated last cycle. Good to go! I thought. Great planning! I thought.

Instead, when I woke up Thursday I got a positive OPK and a “peak” reading on the Fertility Monitor. So IUI #2 had to happen on Friday at 9am. Unfortunately the cyrobank doesn’t open until 9am so I couldn’t give them 24 hours notice, I had to pick it up Thursday afternoon…for an extra $100 “same day” fee. *sigh* I cannot win.

Friday morning I got another positive OPK and another “peak” reading on the monitor so I went into the IUI feeling pretty good. This time it was a different nurse and it was pretty much the most uncomfortable rooting around in my vagina of all time. She rattled the speculum so much it felt like she was putting up scaffolding in there. And every tiny thing she had to describe to me in great detail as she was doing it.

Hey, you know what? The first IUI took 5 minutes. The dude talked about the weather, stuck the catheter up there, put the sperm where it was supposed to go and that was that. He didn’t talk about every single move and he didn’t rattle a metal object around so much it practically echoed. Good God.

Anyhoo-ha. I’m now 6 days past IUI and again, I feel totally fine. My boobs don’t hurt, I’m not nauseous and in general I just feel normal. So I’m assuming that things didn’t work again. Which is a bummer because I felt like the timing this time was way better based on the OPKs/monitor readings. I know it’s only been 2 cycles but I’m already getting impatient. I want something to work and I’d like it to work now. I want to move on to medicated cycles but my RE wants to stay the course with unmedicated cycles. Which is easy for her to say because she’s not the one paying $650 per vial o’ sperm that doesn’t work.

I’m just cranky in general though I guess because we have so much going on. The closing on our condo is at the end of the month and we’re away for 4 days next weekend and we’re rapidly running out of time to pack.

Then we’re transient for a month until we close on the new house. We only close on the new house IF the appraisal comes in where we need it to. So I’m a little stressed about just about everything.

It figures

It figures that the day after I say the words “nothing much is going on or changing” everything ends up changing. Well, not everything. But enough to keep things interesting and in flux.

On Wednesday of last week while we were out to dinner for my husband’s birthday, we finally got an offer on our house that we were comfortable accepting. We negotiated up a little bit and it was a done deal (well, pending inspection and appraisal etc etc). We had the inspection this weekend and because it’s a 4 year old brand new construction home, everything was fine and we’re moving on. We expect to have a P & S agreement to sign soon and their only contingency was a 6 week closing. So we have to be out of here by May 30th. Which is only humorous because we’re supposed to leave for Baltimore for a long weekend on May 31st. So, sometime before that we have to pack up suitcases, pack up our cars and figure out what we’re going to do with ourselves.

We have looked at 100+ houses online and visited 20+ in person and we’ve only seen 1 that has that unique combination of all the things we’re looking for. It has a wide open kitchen, a dining room, decent sized bedrooms and closets, enough bathrooms, a finished basement, 2 car garage, lovely landscaping and a great backyard (I didn’t originally want a pool but this one has a lovely in-ground pool that is well fenced off as well as enough room in the backyard besides the pool, so I’m ok with it). It’s at the end of a lovely cul-de-sac surrounded by other adorable houses. I want this house. I want it bad.

So we put in an offer on Saturday. They had an open house Sunday. Sunday night they said no to our offer but counter offered, dropping their price by $5k. An hour later we said no, but went up $5k from where we were.

Monday morning they said no, wrote a 3 paragraph letter about how great their house is and went down another $5k. We responded by coming up $10k.

It’s now late Tuesday afternoon and we still haven’t heard anything. If they drop another $5k, we’ll be in the middle and we’ll be ok with that. It’s still more that we want to pay, but we’re pretty sure it’s going to appraise at less than what we’re buying it for at which point either we would have to pay the difference or the seller would have to drop a little to make it work out. Their house is just way over priced for what’s on the market and what the house has to offer and they’re being stubborn and annoying. If they don’t negotiate with us then they’re going to have to start this long drawn out dance with someone else before they realize that they’re not going to get what they’re asking.  I just want them to sell us their stupid house already.

Even if they do sell us their stupid house, they can’t close until the end of June. So that leaves us the entire month of June up in the air. The week we get back from Baltimore we could stay with his parents maybe. Then we were thinking that if it’s just a month, maybe we could stay in an extended-stay hotel but that would run us somewhere from $2,600 to $3,800. That seems like a lot! I think that if it’s just a month, we should just suck it up and stay with his parents a week, maybe our friend Kris’ for a week, maybe split up and I can go stay with my mom for a week…stay with friends over the weekend, etc. If we don’t get this house, and we’re up in the air for longer than a month then I think we have to figure out where to rent a furnished apartment.

But we won’t know if we need to do that until we hear back from this place. OMG. KILLING ME.